Are you a person who likes eggs and toast for breakfast? If your answer is, “Yes” I am in the same boat as you are. I love eggs in any form. If I was ever to get breakfast in bed (like in the movies), I would definitely prefer moist scrambled creamy perfectly seasoned eggs on a warm buttered toast…
Since I began my low card diet regime, I have eaten a lot of eggs. I have not yet come to hate it, but it gets monotonous. I kind of miss idly-sambar (I am not an idly fan) for breakfast.
I have made all kinds of egg dishes in the past month. Adding a lot of veggies to make it filling omelette, eating it hard boiled and making it scrambled when the mornings get too busy.
I have been craving for cakes and cupcakes (not accounting the couple of bites of cakes that I have sneaked!!!). To get a new version of the much loved egg, I decided to cook the eggs in the form of a muffin!
When you are making them, make sure that everyone is ready to eat. This muffin is best served warm. I guess since it does not have any flour in it, the muffin collapses as soon as the steam escapes. So get everyone on the breakfast table, when 10 min of baking time remains.
- Eggs – 5
- Onion – ¼ of a small one diced finely
- Green chillies – 1
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Spinach – 1 bunch coarsely chopped
- Red Capsicum – ¼ piece diced finely
- Cream – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Cream cheese – 1 cube of kiri cheese
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Wash and dry the spinach leaves.
- Sautee the minced garlic clove in olive oil.
- When the clove of garlic is soft, add the onions
- Let the onions cook till they are transparent.
- Add the green chillies and stir it around for a min
- Add the spinach leaves with a pinch of salt.
- Cook the spinach leaves till it loses its moisture
- While the spinach mixture cools down, preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease the pan with a little bit of olive oil and coat it with a thin layer of flour. Tap out the excess flour
- Beat the eggs with the salt, cream and a pinch of pepper.
- Add the red pepper
- Break up the cream cheese and add to this mixture
- Mix in the spinach mixture
- Pour this into the prepared muffin mould
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the muffins
- Bake for 20 min
This is a change from the regular omelettes.